A few years ago I started experimenting with how to present genealogy in something other than a family tree and I combined ‘altered art’ – using an old book, with digital scrapbooking and artist’s trading cards to come up with this:
I found an old book about gardening which seemed the right size and removed some of the pages. I glued the rest of the pages together and to the back board, I then cut out a niche.
I covered the book with mulberry paper, green on the exterior and cream on the interior. I glued aged lace, a photo in a found frame and a buckle. The buckle serves to keep the book closed and to keep the cards in.
I covered the niche and containing page with black lace fabric leaving it to overlap and covered the niche with burgundy crinkled satin-type fabric. I glued a matching ribbon to one side to make it easier to extract the cards.
I glued scraps of tissue newspaper, mulberry paper, a torn photo and a skeleton leaf to the inside front cover.
I made the ATC cards using digital scrapbooking techniques and a mini-book set from fishscraps.com
I’ve found a couple of Victorian soldiers in my line, so far and today I’ve been researching conditions. In a word, grim! Pay was 1s 1d a day (about 5.5p) and out of that they had to pay for food (about 6d/2.5p), uniform and its upkeep, medical expenses and any damages incurred to their accommodation. Barracks were horribly overcrowded, badly lit and heated. Rations were 1lb of meat and 1lb of bread a day, little or no vegetables or dairy produce. Monotonous and ultimately unhealthy. There was a lot of sickness.